Wednesday, March 16, 2011

TNVAC

Back in High School, I volunteered with the local Ambulance Corps as a weekend and overnight dispatcher. I often worked with Tony and Jay, two good guys from the neighborhood.

The phone rang continually with no breaks on the emergency line, and Jay often beat me to the phone- on a run.

He always made sure I made it home safe after the tour.

These volunteers taught me first aid, and they shared their passion for Emergency medicine.

Tony studied at NYU and later became a dentist. He still practices in New York.

Jay dreamed of ESU...Emergency Services Unit- the elite of NYPD. It was the work he wanted to do more than anything else in the world. He talked about it constantly.

Jay joined the military and became a member of ESU. Which does not surprise me one bit, because he was driven and knew what he wanted.

He was one of the 14 ESU officers who died on 9-11 after responding to the call. He died doing what he loved.

It was a pleasure to know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment