Saturday, March 12, 2011

Telemarketing

In 1987 I was at Hunter and working as an office temp, babysitter and auto parts store clerk and anything else to earn money to live on. Wini and Amy were telemarketers for the Vivian Beaumont Theater, and knowing I was in need, invited me to work with them.

It is as bad a job as you imagine, only worse. The worst job I EVER had- which is saying something. Back before smoking laws changed, I worked in a windowless basement in a room of chain smokers. I could not sell anything, and it was demoralizing.

But every dark cloud...

One day, the man answering the phone was actually quite polite, saying he and his wife had just had a baby and were not really going out in the evenings.

I told him I was a college student and offered my babysitting services.

"Are you saying that to sell me the play tickets?"

"Oh, I don't care if you buy the tickets or not..." I was clearly not cut out for telemarketing.

He invited me to meet his family and, long story short, I started babysitting for Lloyd and Jan, watching their three children. The work with them covered many of my school expenses and their kindness is unmatched. Our friendship has grown over the years...They are like family.

Oh- and Jan said if she had answered the phone that day so long ago, she would have hung up...

No comments:

Post a Comment