Sunday, March 20, 2011

Maryellen Moore

Maryellen Moore is a sister with the Helpers, an order of nuns she joined as a teenager. She has traveled the globe in her work for them, and is based in Chicago. She is also my cousin.

My grandfather and her dad were brothers, and my family lived in the basement of her home till I was about three and a half. Her dad's generosity allowed my parents to purchase their home.

I remember when she wore a habit and "looked" like a nun, but these days she wears regular, conservative attire. I stayed with her and the sisters in both Chicago and Paris, and she is always a wonderful host. And she is kind.

We wrote letters back and forth when I was in Guatemala- this is how I learned she is terrified of rats. She was the only one in the family that really understood what Central America was like.

She was recently diagnosed with an illness that we are hoping will respond to treatment. I spoke to her today and she is as ever Maryellen.

I am praying for her this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment