Saturday, March 19, 2011

Girlfriends

Kathy and Tara and I have been friends since Grammar School and have survived all of us marrying, having children and divorcing. We have stayed in touch as I have traveled the globe and now offer each other support not only by phone but also on Facebook- the modern marvel that allows you to find those folks you loved from long ago... But the three of us have always been right there in the background.

Mary, I met in high school. She was the person who brought Spellman to life for me and she wrote to me over the long summer I was in Ireland, finding joy in my crazy adventures. Mary and I lost touch for a time after college, and recently reconnected. This amazing lady has been dealt issues I cannot dream of and with the support of her wonderful husband, has done so with humor. I missed her battle with breast cancer but thank God for her recovery and the joy she brings me now

Leyla, I met at the Museum, my best teenager job. She and I worked weekend nights together and shared our lives with one another. As she battles RA, I pray for her...and still she is the girl I can call at 3am when my heart is broken.

In the college dorms, Stella, Tonya, Chris, Wini, and Leah made life better and I will always be grateful for my Hunter family. The ups and downs and drama and boys- back when a chocolate covered Oreo could solve most of our problems- and let's not forget chocolate chip cake... each of these ladies has given me time and love and I am grateful that each had a place in my life.

Vicky, though, has stayed with me along this crazy path. A JYNY student from California, we are an unlikely match. But she is my sister, my family and I am so glad I can still call her to laugh and cry.

My junior sister who did the right thing and was treated badly because of it...Stacey, you are still my hero.

The Peace Corps girls- Sandy my roommate, MaryAnn, Rica, Maria, Jen, Donna, Fran, Joan-e, Ana and Lori, Michaela, Liz... Each of these strong women made life in Guatemala like being home.

I am a better person because of what these women shared with me and I am thankful everyday to have strong women in my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment