Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tornados

Being from the East Coast, my tornado experience growing up was all about Dorothy and Auntie Em...

Since relocating, I have found it disconcerting that tornados are no longer a rare beast that lives only on the silver screen. After the huge tornado that tore through Joplin, MO, I took it very seriously when the clouds darkened and the winds started to pick up.

The power went out just before 8pm, and I had my son grab his camping lantern and we went to the basement to wait out the storm. It took a while for me to confirm- via cell calls to friends who still had power, that the danger had passed.

I was able to confirm my daughter's safety- she was working at the hospital and experienced her first tornado code. It is just such a strange way to live.

We are expecting storms all week, not a comforting thought. And really, enough with the rain. If farmers can't plant their corn by June 1st, they can't get it insured. Which will mean higher feed prices and higher food costs.

So say a little prayer...

No comments:

Post a Comment