Friday, May 27, 2011

My “Summer of Change” Journey

I started focusing on doing things for me at the start of May, after three hard months. I wanted to cleanse my mind and body and move forward in my life as it has been newly defined. The decision was made and the approach to the change was multifocal.

I did the “Made to Crave” challenge to focus my cravings on God and move them away from food. Each morning for 21 days I read a devotional message of encouragement to stay on track. In addition, I joined “The Biggest Loser” at work. (Paid $20 in and weigh in each Monday. So far I am in 2nd place)

I have lost 10lbs so far…

I also started Swing Dance classes- though I missed the one last night. I find the class exhilarating and feel totally proud of myself at the end. It is $5 a night down in Covington, KY and it is so much fun.

I signed up for the Bloom Bookclub on Sunday afternoons- The Fitting Room is our book.

I also decided to make use of the time my son is in New York. So I signed up for classes at the Community Arts Center in Fairfield. I always say I will take a class, and in the nearly five years I lived here, never took one. During my Summer of Change Journey I will be taking… drum roll please…

Tai Chi on Monday night

A gentle yet powerful form of exercise that combines fluid movements with energy circulation, breathing and stretching techniques, it will improve muscle tone, balance and reduce stress.

Salsa on Tuesday night

Learn lots of salsa free style moves in this series. Learn new moves each class that will get more intense as the series goes on. Learn combinations all to help you develop a strong basic, timing, and styling in your dance.

Belly-Dancing on Wednesday night

In the style of American Tribal Belly dance, this style has its roots in the gypsy dances of the Middle East, but carries the modern touch of American artistic sensibilities. It provides a low-impact work-out with an emphasis on strengthening core muscles. It also helps improve memory by learning short choreographies, the artistry of the dance is uplifting.

Followed by Pottery later on Wednesday night

The main focus will be to develop wheel throwing, hand-building, glazing, and decorating skills. Instructor will work with each student at their individual level, while maintaining a fun and creative atmosphere.

and Zumba on Saturday morning...

Zumba combines Latin and International rhythms with dance steps such as: the meringue, salsa, mambo, samba, as well as belly dance and a little hip hop. The class utilizes simple, repetitive movements for an awesome low-impact cardio workout.


Classes start the first week of June and run through the end of August. I can’t wait. (The class descriptions are from the Fairfield Flyer)

And of course with Thursday as my Swing dance night and the pool, I have a well rounded summer.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment