Friday, May 6, 2011

Dancing

"To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful.. This is power, it is glory on earth and it is yours for the taking." --Agnes De Mille

I have always enjoyed dancing- from the time my father let me stand on his toes as he waltzed around the room. We went to Irish Ceilidhs when I was a child and it was great music and dancing the night away.

I took Irish step dancing lessons from 3rd to fifth grade- loved the three hand reel, but counted out loud. In sixth grade I took tap and ballet dancing lessons as well- I was able to navigate toe shoes in four months time.

We danced at wedding, we danced at funerals. My father and I won a bottle of champagne at the Dollar Dry Dock dinner dance- dancing is just what we did.

When I dragged my broken heart home during my year off college, my siblings took me dancing. French Charlie's, The Touch, pulsing music, and family.

"Dance is the hidden language of the soul." --Martha Graham

I don't remember when it was that I stopped dancing...kids, marriage, life, divorce, "I don't dance"...

Just Dance on Wii, and recently dancing at a birthday party reminded me how fun it was, how much I enjoy the movement and the music.

I went to a Swing class in Covington Kentucky last night and it was WONDERFUL. I ended up going on my own, danced and danced and danced some more... It was a big group of us, everyone was encouraging, everyone helpful- such a lovely evening.

When I got home, my son said "But you don't even look tired, Mommy."

I wasn't. I felt rejuvenated. I can't wait for the next class. I love to dance.

"Let us read and let us dance - two amusements that will never do any harm to the world." --Voltaire

No comments:

Post a Comment