Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Possibilities

I was thinking today of a day years ago and was reminded of what is possible...


The day was dark, overcast and the drowning rain was cold. It was rush hour and my long commute home loomed before me. I was three months pregnant and already exhausted.

I was changing buses at Webster and Tremont Avenue, and truthfully, went inside the fried chicken place more to be dry than to eat. In all honesty, I admit I walked past without seeing them. The fall had been a very stressful time for me- so many decisions to make, a major crossroad. I was preoccupied, lost in my thoughts, ignoring the world around me.

The young Spanish couple noticed them. The first was an old woman, her many bags gathered around her, all her worldly possessions. The young man spoke to her first, in English, but she did not respond. The girl then asked in Spanish if the woman would like a chicken dinner. The woman hesitated, and then replied that she would, and the young girl took her order slowly, patiently. The young man delivered her meal to the table as if he were a waiter in a grand restaurant, concerned that it was exactly as she wanted it.

The young girl then approached a younger woman who seemed confused, or depressed, without a place or plan. A lost soul. She seemed unable to grasp the concept of a free meal from strangers, unable to fit it in with the experiences of her day. This young couple simply radiated a warmth- the woman accepted their generous offer.

I had eaten my meal while watching these exchanges, and was changed by it. As I readied my things to go, I caught the eye of the young man, and said simply, “That was really classy.” He smiled, then the girl turned around. I repeated myself, feeling awkward as the mistiness crept into my eyes. They smiled as I left, and I no longer felt so tired and alone. I felt the warmth of mankind’s possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment