Sunday, November 8, 2009

Airport Security

I recently travelled to New York and it was smooth sailing all the way- I am a seasoned traveller, so this is not unusual, but even for me there have been issues.

Last year, I had to fly to Vienna, Va, outside of Wash. DC- which meant hopping a flight out of Dayton, a 45 minute drive, at 7:30am on a Sunday morning and changing planes in Cincinnati, because getting on the plane in Cincinnati was TWICE the price.

So I was up at 4:30am, in order to drop off my son and get to the airport an hour in advance. Still dark out, it was freezing and pouring rain... Of course...

I parked in long term parking and have to walk miles to the terminal- no shuttles at Dayton.

I waited in an unreasonably long line for a Sunday at 6:30am, (because, really, any line on a Sunday at 6:30am is unreasonable) and on checking in discovered they want $25 for my second bag (this was when this change first happened on Delta- little did I know I would soon be paying for every bag) - so I have to repack- putting all contraband in the checked luggage and planning to carry on the second bag. Finally the bag is properly tagged and I am asked for my ID...which I do not have...the space for my license is empty. I had been asked for ID at the bank the day before and removed it...and did not replace it...My flight leaves in 45 minute, but closed out in half an hour. I call a friend who gets hold of my passport...but there is no way to get it to me in time. I figure I am completely out of luck...

The ticket agent spots a document with the Ohio state seal- my car registration- she calls the gate...they deem it acceptable..

Seriously! I am not making this up...

My registration. For my car...Not one form of photo ID. And they let me on the plane. Granted I was patted down and they searched my bags and tested them for explosives...but I made my plane. My friend- after another few hours sleep...it is Sunday after all...will FedEx my passport so I can come back on Monday... Sounds good, right?

Did you know FedEx doesn't actually go anywhere on Sunday...So coming home I had a faxed copy of the front page of my passport...which does not have my married name...and, of course the car registration- the ticket agent in DC was clearly shocked I had ever gotten on the plane to come to the capitol of our great nation in the first place.

On arriving in my office in Cincinnati the following morning, I called the New York office as it was the first day to touch base with my new boss, Mary- she had started the day before...I mentioned the challenges of my journey to one of the lovely ladies in our office, so Mary heard my tale... She thinks I am Wonder Woman- clearly she's never seen me in high heel red boots and leggings...

Clearly I look nothing like anyone on the watch lists... And someone had my back!

No comments:

Post a Comment