Monday, November 9, 2009

Dad

I spent time today thinking about the differences between me and my father as far as mind set goes.

He went to a Cardiologist last year who said he was a poor surgical risk and came home saying he didn’t need surgery. He takes his Coumadin when he thinks he needs it. He thinks hospice providers kill their patients- in a nice gentle way…

I used to try and correct the misconceptions… a pointless endeavor, I assure you…

So today. My father went in for a “dye test” this afternoon, according to my non-medical sister. She says they are going in his groin to look at his heart. He left me a message on Friday he was getting tests, no explanation as to type…

So I called him after talking to my sister, cause I recognize a cardiac cath when it is described to me. He confirms that this is in fact what he is having done.

Did I mention he took the Express Bus into the city to get to the hospital and that he was there alone?

He told me it was no big deal… but I know better. He could need a stent, open heart surgery…complications include strokes… I was a wreck.

All day I waited, and since I have family and friends who are big praying people, I put Dad on their lists.

At around 6:30pm, I got word from my sister that dad had two stents and was resting in his room. Eddie is with him and he will go home tomorrow.

No big deal.

Rick put it to me that saying it was no big deal might be how Dad keeps stuff from becoming a big deal.

I love you, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment