Thursday, November 5, 2009

Girlie Girl- what is in my bag

So in honor of my first follower, Abby, I thought I would take a stab at a girlie- girl post and read what other people were talking about and comment on that. This one was fun:

Purple Lab Founder Karen Robinovitz Shares the Contents of Her Bag By Michelle Halpern October 29, 2009

http://www.stylecaster.com/news/6074/purple-lab-founder-karen-robinovitz-shares-the-contents-of-her-bag/UTIMY1RiUjACag==

The story of how Karen Robinovitz, began her career in the beauty business is unique. (You can read the story in the article)

Here are the items she carries in her bag along with my comments and personal choices.

1. RCA Small Wonder camera, $130:

a. Okay- as someone who only joined the digital photo age ten minutes ago, I am impressed I carry a Kodak in the purse- video and Youtube may be decades away. Now if only I can remember to keep the thing charged…

2. Goody Ouchless Hair Elastics, $2.99:

a. Excellent choice- I may start doing this.

3. Louis Vuitton Epi Leather wallet :

a. Yeah- Louis and I have yet to meet in person- but I carry a handmade green leather wallet given to me by a doctor I work with. She bought it in Chile and I LOVE it.

4. Kate Somerville Protect 55 Serum, $45

a. SPF all the way- any way you can- did I mention the doctor was a dermatologist? Remember to reapply.

5. Eve Lom hand cream, $35

a. $35 for hand cream? I use Dove Moisturizing Cream for sensitive skin- it fits my price range.

6. Huge Lips Skinny Hips lip gloss in Worship Kate, $20:

a. Yeah, no…though if I got some as a gift I would totally do a trial run

7. Huge Lips Skinny Hips lip gloss in Love Your Thighs, $20:

a. 2 entries for lip gloss seems excessive, but maybe it is FABULOUS…

8. Chrome Hearts sunglasses:

a. When your website doesn’t list prices, your stuff is out of my price range. And at the rate I lose, break and scratch my sun glasses, these are just not for me…

9. MoMA Yoshitomo Nara journal, $9.95:

a. Always carry a notebook and pen- I carry a no-name version with a back flap to store my coupons.

10. Passion Tazo Tea, $4.99:

a. I carry a baggie of Barry’s Tea bags, which is ridiculously expense and something I would have a hard time living without…(When I lived in Central America, I started to drink coffee because the tea was just that BAD) …I have used Lyons and PG Tips in a pinch…yes, I am a tea snob.

11. Peanut butter cookie Lara Bar, $21.99 for a box:

a. Super healthy…I am not. But I rarely carry snacks with me during a work day since there is a vending machine down the hall.

12. BlackBerry Curve, $150 for two year contract:

a. I inherited a Blackberry plan and a pink blackberry- I will need to ask my daughter what kind it is, because it was hers first and I have no clue …. I am actually considering downgrading to a phone that does not require a data package. My contract is up at the end of this month…

Okay, so here is a list of things I actually carry in my red Fossil tote- but then I lead a different kind of life:

1. Feminine Hygiene products- more than one kind… because the chance of monthly periods coming early is inversely proportional to your level of preparedness. And it is good form to be in a position to help a girlfriend in need.

2. A pocket face mask- Cause you might need to save somebody’s life someday.

3. A paper day planner- Otherwise I would not know where I was supposed to be or when I was there. I used to have a PDA that I hot synched, but lost all my data when my computer crashed…I spent ages trying to figure out what meetings I was missing. And now, I can’t hot synch to my work computer anyway (Only IS knows why) so paper it is.

4. Crayons- in a variety of colors- Because my son always wants a color he did not receive with the kids meal menu.

5. Tweezers- So I can pull the two inch granny hair from my chin that grew in since this morning.

6. An Irish Penny from the year I was born- which is as big as a half dollar and pre-dates the Euro.

7. Stamps- I get the Forever kind cause I NEVER know what the postage price is.

8. A Bottle opener- cause some stuff isn’t twist-off.

9. A pound and a half (or more) of change- which is clearly multiplying faster than I spend it

10. My generic MP3 player- with all my 5 star hits- makes for some interesting listening when it is actually charged

11. My Debit Card: Because I will be debt free and am staying away from credit cards as much as possible.

12. My blood pressure medication- because it is really important that no matter how hectic a life I lead, I take care of me…

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh..this is fun! As an official girlie girl, I feel the need to also comment on the contents of my purse. I know you think that I spend far too much on purses. And shoes. And make-up. And mani/pedis. But I digress. I shall defend the importance on investing on one (or several...life is short...buy new bags) amazing purse that instantaneously transforms the carrier into a Goddess among mere mortals whenever she pulls it out and throw it over her shoulder. Worth every single hard earned penny. Ok...on to contents.

    1. Longheart wallet. I justified the cost due to the fact that it can also double as a clutch for the evening. It was a weak argument but sufficient enough to quiet that little voice that told me to put that money into savings instead. Wallet includes visa debit and numerous other dull items. No credit cards. Credit cards are evil and to be avoided at all costs. Plus they tend to inexplicably cause the cardholder be drawn to the nearest shoe store. Shoe stores are like Starbucks in NYC. There is one on every corner. Best not to avoid the temptation altogether and carry cash.
    2. Blackberry cell phone. Life-saver. Never ever without it.
    3. Ipod. Why talk to dull strangers on public transportation when you can plug up your ears with your own personal and private concerts featuring artists of your choosing. The ability to listen to George Michael while in public without anyone knowing you guilty pleasure. Not that I would ever listen to George. Just an hypothetical example, of course. I mean just because ‘Father Figure’ is just about the best song ever…
    4. Happy Herbert’s Oat Bran mini pretzels. This is to deter me from purchasing high calorie munchies while on the run. The bag is full. I gave serious thought to opening it but chose instead to have a delicious and fattening lemon tart at Starbucks. At the time I said I would make up for it by having a salad for dinner. That huge pastrami on rye I did have for dinner, by no stretch of the imagination can be in any way confused with a healthy low calorie salad. But tomorrow is another day.
    5. Purell hand sanitizer. Swine flu. Public transportation. ‘Nuff said.
    6. Book: The invitation. Love it. Live it. Ok…so I’m only on chapter 3 but I’m buying into the cult-like concept so far.
    7. Peppermint tea bags. Theory: while out, I will order hot water and drink peppermint tea instead of high calorie caffeinated drinks. Remember that lemon tart? It was accompanied by a Grande Americano decadently topped off with half and half from Starbucks. Peppermint tea bags were shoved to the bottom of purse along with healthy mini pretzels.
    8. Misc: tampons (because mother nature loves to play the “guess when I’ll arrive” game with me on a monthly basis, at least three lip glosses (it’s an addiction), brush, toothbrush/toothpaste and other crap that I’m too lazy to clean out of my purse.

    ReplyDelete