Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The best of men

Funeral Mass : John (Bobby) Sheerin

My uncle, Bubby Sheerin, died on August 30th, several months after being diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. He was 78.

He was the kindest of men- when I was nine years old, he and Rita took us everywhere in Ireland that we wanted to go- dog races, horseback riding, and to Tipperary to visit our Irish Dancing teacher.

Their home was always open to all of us. They were always the picture of kindness to everyone.

John Sheerin was gifted, a brilliant man, he was a scholar and a teacher and so kind to all of us that I can hardly think of him without the tears flowing. I think of him sitting with my mom, Granny and his son Mark in heaven- telling the stories, singing and playing cards.

My cousin, JP, captured his father in a YouTube video that captures this good and kind man perfectly:
Parting Glass

He will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment