Wednesday, October 31, 2012

About going to Africa

Way back in the Peace Corps, circa 1992, I had my first introduction to Tropical Medicine. Specifically, we were vaccinated for all kinds of interesting diseases... Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Rabies... you get the idea.

In the course of my nursing career, I also received vaccine coverage for Hepatitis A and B, as well as annual flu shots, tetanus updates, well, you get the picture.

I was never so grateful as yesterday.

Yesterday was my first visit to the Traveler’s Medicine office (Passport Health) to get me ready for my trip. After reviewing my (extensive) international vaccine record, my nurse advised me two boosters would do it.

ONLY TWO SHOTS!

I figured I would need at least three.

Yellow Fever went in my left arm (it swelled rather impressively). Typhoid in my right (it hurts more, by the way). I had forgotten tropical vaccines can be like that.

I woke up aching today. But it will pass...

I CANNOT BELIEVE I AM REALLY GOING TO AFRICA!!!!!

And now all I have to do is call to have my anti-malaria meds ordered closer to our travel time. And get travel insurance. And book a flight.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment