Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Becoming a Foster Caregiver

Have you ever had a thought that ran around your head for a long time, like Someone was trying to tell you something?

Did you ignore it too?


When I first came to Ohio, I investigated becoming a foster caregiver (they are getting away from the foster parent label). At the time, my son was still young and in talking with a social worker, I decided to wait a while. Then I got busy with life and work and a few years passed by.

Last year I thought about it again, and signed up for the classes… But life got in the way and I just didn’t get there.

And then came this crazy year of new things… Moose meat, anyone? I have less than 20 to go by the way...

The thought got back in my head…

So I signed up for classes, again, but went this time- to all 36 hours. As required for licensing in Butler County. And I mentioned it to some of my family. I was either a saint or crazy, in pretty equal measures.

On Tuesday and Thursday nights, from 6:15 to 9:15, from August 21st to September 27th, I went and learned.

In the first class they asked if we wanted to foster or adopt or foster to adopt. I was not sure. I feel that if a child is meant to be part of my family, they will be.

They asked what age a child we wanted. And did we want a boy or a girl. Some people knew exactly. Not me.

No idea. I am not running this show. I figure God will let me know when He is ready. All I know is that the child will be at least three years younger than John, at the suggestion of a friend who works in the field. Other than that, my mind is open.

In the twelve classes, we talked of the traumas children can suffer. The process of reunification, which is the foster care goal, was reviewed. Because most kids go back home. The court decides when and we really don’t get a say. (This is where faith will come in handy.)

We talked about having rules the kids could follow. And letting them know they were part of the family for as long as they stayed with us. Discussion also went to clearing the house of anything precious, because these poor kids who struggled with pain and loss could lash out. Break things. It would be good if nothing was irreplaceable. Easy enough in my house, furnished mostly from Goodwill and yard sales.

The lectures also covered all the ugly stuff. Abuse of all kinds. Heartbreaking tragedies. Each night I went home so tired. Washed out. Sad. And considering the work I do, making me sad is saying something.

Our class were a diverse group, different backgrounds, different worldviews. Foster caregiving is what we had in common. Our time together went quickly.

We (finally) finished our pre-service training and now I am working on the home study paperwork. Home studies take between 4-6 months from the time I submit the application and supporting documents. And I can’t imagine getting all the paperwork together before Thanksgiving. Because they want EVERYTHING!

Physicals, fire inspections, bank records, credits and debits… and what precisely makes a birth certificate certified? The fact that I didn’t print it myself? Vital Stats in NYC takes 12 weeks to mail you a birth certificate… And I will need a certified marriage license as well as my divorce decree… Don’t they cancel one another out?

So I have a file, and I am copying every statement… Lots of trees dying here…

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment