Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pink Floyd

On October 10, 1987, I saw Pink Floyd live in concert.

25 years ago at the then Brendan Byrne arena. It was the Burning Bed tour and my friend Tara had two extra tickets. But I was meant to be working that night and had no money to pay for the tickets anyway. I was going to miss it… So sad!

And then something wonderful happened.

Only days before the concert, I was on the phone with Dave, one of the young men I was kinda but not really dating at the time, when Vicky, my California girl JYNY came to my dorm room to visit. I asked Dave to hold on and told Vicky about the tragedy. She offered to babysit in my place, but that still did not solve the money issue. My college years were an economic low point.

It was at this point that I realized that Dave, on the other end of my phone receiver, was listening and was practically screaming into the phone at his end trying to get my attention.

He could pay for the tickets. He would love to take me.

OH MY GOD!

I was sick as a dog when the day rolled around, and I did not care. Short of being dead, I was going! Dave picked me up, drove me to the Bronx to wish my folks a happy anniversary, and then took me on our third date (Three of my best dates ever, truth be told).

The music was amazing and the show was top notch, and the bed dropping from the rafters engulfed in flames had to have broken the rules somewhere.

It was magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment