Thursday, September 1, 2011

An Office with a Door

Today it became official. I have my own door. AND nobody lives in my office with me.

This is a really big deal here. NOBODY gets a private office. Except doctors and really senior executives.

And up till now, I worked in a cubicle.

Five years in a cubicle.

For the first three years I lived outside the office of Dr. Speakerphone, so named because he loved to A) leave his office door opened, and B) use speaker phone so he could work and not have to cradle the phone.

Did I mention he had a high octane voice that often filled our area? (And for me to say someone speaks loud…well, I am just saying…)

When we moved, (did I mention the hospital relocates divisions pretty regularly?) I got a more private cubicle with high walls that did not open onto the hallway. I had a resident behind me a couple of hours a day, but my alcove was quiet and removed. I was quite happy there.

I mean, I am the girl who worked on a mobile unit for 4 years. And it listed to curbside. And I lived in Guatemala…hard core, I am telling you.

There was the brief period in Yonkers where I had a private office large enough for a small table and yes, it did have a private bathroom AND a window…

God- that was pretty cushy, come to think of it…

But I digress…

I love my door- even though I mostly leave it open. I love my door even though I miss the girls being right behind me.

I love my new space and will, for as long as it takes to move me again…

Because this office is only mine temporary. Till we get our next faculty member.

But I am being so spoiled now.

Even without getting a window… Now a window would really be something... a girl can dream…

No comments:

Post a Comment