Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A one-car garage

When I bought my house, my friend Peggy said I should not consider a house that did not have a full basement, and that I absolutely had to have a garage, preferably attached.

The house I purchased has both- a finished full basement and a one car garage.

Of course, that makes it sound like a car lives in it, which could not be further from the truth.

Everything but the kitchen sink lives in my garage- and even the kitchen sink was in there when I remodeled the kitchen. Yard tools, a second fridge, furniture on it's way in or out, toys, bikes, pool stuff and junk- junk that needs to be donated or thrown out...

There is NO hope of getting a car in there.

But that is all changing now. Motivated by my party this weekend, and the fact that I have not found the gate key (no, I didn't lose it- it is in the house somewhere) I decided to clean out the garage so my company has direct access to the backyard.

And decluttering was a resolution I made in January. Time to get on that...

Except...

My garage is filthy.

Dust, dirt, and junk... gross spiderwebs...

How long has it been since I cleared out anything, you ask?

Well, I discovered the box for the microwave that was installed in 2008, if that gives you any indication. At least I didn't find any life forms beyond spiders- but I think I have my cat to thank for that blessing.

I have worked on it for several days, and am starting to see signs of improvement. I threw away a bunch of stuff last week.

Last night, another full recycle bin, recliners and the remnants of an old tv stand joined three (very full) garbage cans at the curb... and I am PRAYING Rumpke takes it all with them before I get home.

But it is still not a one-car garage- unless it is a really little one (think SmartCar small)- it is more of a half car garage with one car potential. But winter is a long way off,(I hope) and that's really when you want to park indoors anyway.

Next stop is a basement cleanout... I will declutter...I will throw away... I will donate...

I am a woman on a mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment