Monday, June 27, 2011

A Chocolate Bar

So I was losing weight, exercising, feeling better… getting the spiritual life into better order...

And then...

I got some game changing news on Friday…and ATE all weekend through my grief. Yup I am an emotional eater.

Today, at my weigh in, I had gone in ENTIRELY the wrong direction… and it doesn’t matter that this is when I retain water in any given month, that I had a valid excuse for my overindulgence excursion, and so on…

The day got worse as I learned of three of my little ones from work passing away… and reading about another boy, slowly being blinded by this wicked disease, EB…

I bought a Snickers bar, intent on soothing my crushed spirit that grieved for these poor families who have truly suffered loss…

Karen told me I didn’t need it, but I wouldn’t listen. The apple I ate did not fill the void. But on my way back from the candy machine, I stopped at Donna’s desk, and she repeated Karen’s message.

I left the Snicker bar with her. Not sure if I was going to go back to her in the afternoon to claim it, but right in that moment, I did not crave it.

I did not need it.

The loving support of my two dear friends was enough to get me past the craving…

I did not want it.

I can hardly recognize the me I was at that moment. Hurt, unhappy, and NOT solving the problem with food.

Victory!

No comments:

Post a Comment