Monday, October 3, 2011

The Tragedy of Underage Drinking

Okay- I am not a “cool” mom. I don’t let anyone under 21 drink in my house. I have a ZERO- TOLERANCE drug policy- you want to do drugs, I want no part of you.

I am just not okay with any of it. And can be a real bitch about it.

Maybe it has to do with being a small child in a car with an impaired driver… often. Nothing ever happened, but it was not for want of trying…

Maybe it is because I remember a fatal wreck in High School, where all but the driver died. They were boys Marie (from my homeroom) grew up with. Her heart was broken.

I don’t drink and drive.

Because it is not safe.

Because it can be fatal.

On Thursday morning last week, my daughter received a call from her friend, Aaron. His brother, Adrian, along with John and Chris, had been drinking at the home of a man old enough to know better. A man who had previously been cited for serving minors… Who had dated Adrian’s mom…

Four of them in a Prelude, this man at the wheel, tragedy only moments away. At twice the speed limit plus, this man lost control and hit a tree.

Adrian was dead. At 17 years old, he will be buried. I pray for his poor mother. And his twin, his whole family…

John was uninjured physically, but emotionally, he will have scars.

Chris is in the hospital with fractures that can be seen.

The driver has been charged with a number of crimes, and awaits his trial behind bars.

And the thought that runs through my mind-

“Would they have gotten into the car with this impaired individual if they were sober?”

Liz flew home within hours of the crash and is doing what she can to soothe her friends. And I am doing what I can to ease her pain. And I am praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment