Monday, October 31, 2011

Snow in October?!?!?

My sister called me yesterday morning and I missed her call.

When I rang her back she said she had called to tell me her power and cable were out, due to an early snowstorm.

Snowstorm?

I didn’t believe her. I had been out at a party the previous day and thought she must be kidding me- so I turned on the TV…

It had snowed in New York City- the whole Eastern coastline had been slammed hard… Her kids have a snow day on Halloween. A snow day. In October. The whole thing is just so wrong on so many levels.

In my lifetime it has NEVER snowed in October in New York City. NEVER. And I have been around for quite some time.

How in the world?

I checked the web: “The last time that Central Park recorded measurable snow was on Oct. 21, 1952 when 0.5 of an inch fell. Prior to that, 0.8 of an inch fell on Oct. 30, 1925.” (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/57059/snow-piling-up-across-the-nort.asp)

Seriously the largest snowfall in recorded history- they started tracking after the Civil War- that ever fell in New York… over two inches in Central Park…

It is October… Granted it is the last day of October, but seriously? Snow? For Halloween? I don’t even like snow for Thanksgiving. It really doesn’t need to snow till Christmas and even then a light dusting will do.

I would like to say how freaking delighted I am not to be shoveling snow today, but I am afraid to jinx myself. I am also afraid I will get hate mail if I say what a beautiful day we had here in Ohio yesterday.

I know our turn is coming. I am just hoping we get a couple of months before that cold wet stuff starts falling out of the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment