Friday, October 28, 2011

New lawn today

I am getting my front yard landscaped today. Oh the joys of homeownership... where your home owns you. AKA why I never go anywhere...

Landscaping doesn’t sound like a big deal unless you understand how bad/sad my front yard is. This green stuff that grows on the ground here...what a pain in the butt. And all my neighbors have beautiful yards- lawns right out of a magazine. I am clearly bringing down home values…

I have not done any real labor intensive yard work since losing my original lawn guy, Brian. And when he was here, he did all the things that made my yard pretty. He used to take such pride in making my yard nice. The sight of it these days would probably reduce him to tears.

Not all my fault... just mostly. I am a city girl. So knowing invasive weeds from lovely ground cover… not really in my skill set. And honestly, watering the grass- isn’t that what rain is for?

After the sewer line was repaired, I had a big mound of dirt with deep gullies on either side, so really, why try so hard- the mound needed to settle...Unfortunately, 6 months later, it is more or less flat and barren except for the weeds. I really grow weeds quite well. My tomatoes all died, but I have thistles and dandelions to spare.

Clearly I need help. So I hired Bruce.

He is going to weed and plant and sandblast and seed and then I am calling it done. It will cost me a bit, but let’s face it- I am not going to do it myself. It is bad enough I will need to rake leaves. The only good part about winter is the reduction of yard work.

If all goes well, I will have lovely front and side yard beds. Beautiful curb appeal. I am actually excited that my yard won't be the worst on the block for a while.

The backyard will still look like crap, but with any luck, that will be a job for spring when I have some money. Hopefully in time to have a real veggie garden. It could happen.

1 comment:

  1. One of our neighbors called the city and complained about the weeds in our front yard. I guarantee no matter what your yard looks like, it is better than ours.

    ReplyDelete