Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rick has left the Country

My boyfriend Rick is in his late forties, and I love him dearly. He has traveled to Canada, taken cruises to Mexico and some of the Caribbean islands, which some would count as foreign travel, but really- not so much.

Granted, they are different countries, but foreign travel in my mind means you need a passport, maybe even a visa.

Rick got his very first passport last year...

I admit, I was on my mother's passport and traveled to Ireland in 1968 so yes, my travels started at a younger age, but I don't really count Ireland, as we stayed with family, and it is my mother's home.

I returned with my sister to Ireland in 1976- again staying with family. I returned on my own at 16- and this time traveled to London as well- my wanderlust was born.

With over a dozen countries under my belt, not to mention living in Guatemala in the early 90's, I consider myself a veteran of foreign travel. Rick is more of a novice.

I was not the only one who thought so. His mom gave him a bunch of suggestions for his safety too. In fact, when I was reciting my (very long) list of do's and don'ts, he said I sounded very like his mother. I was nagging, I freely admit it, and being the good man he is, he listened.

He wore a plastic watch instead of his nice one, took a hand-held digital camera instead of his "wedding photographer" camera with the 7 lenses, and he wore a plain blue jacket instead of his leather one.

He arrived safely in Southern China, and will be there till March 15. He skypped me (not sure that is really a word, but whatever) and told me how hot he was (in the 90s- no sympathy from me as I looked out on the snow) and that he brought the right camera for the trip.

I felt vindicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment