Friday, March 5, 2010

Cub Scouts

As a Den leader to my second grade wolf den, I try to do projects with the boys and their parents that give them a sense of a job well done.

Last week, we made kites for our kite parade, which is scheduled for the 23rd. After looking at far too many choices of kites we could make, I found one that met my criteria- inexpensive supplies and ease of construction. We made garbage bag kites.

I will set aside for a moment that the young man in Home Depot didn't know what a dowel was. Each kite required 2 dowels, a garbage bag, masking tape and twine. So for less than $2 a child, I was able to get everything needed.

The plan was a bit more complicated than I originally thought and not every line was perfectly straight and I am sure a few angles were off a bit, but with me, 3 other moms, and one uncle, all five boys finished the basic kite before the meeting ended. They were told to decorate the kites before the 23rd, and we cleaned up the area.

One of my boys decided to test run his kite and IT FLEW!

It worked! We did our best and it worked...amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment