Thursday, February 25, 2010

My Irish Home

My mother was a farmer's daughter, born in 1939 in rural Ireland. She was the first of 10 children born to Edward and Ellen Moore, and lived on the family farm in Annaghkilly, Newbliss, until she emigrated with her sister to the Bronx.

My aunt took photos when they returned to the farm.

The small cottage is the first home my mother lived in- I picked peas with my sister Dee in the vegetable garden behind this cottage in 1976. It was removed to straighten and widen the lane so the milk truck had an easier time getting down the lane to the milking parlor each day.

Supper in the field- My grandfather (seated in overalls) and his brothers Peter (Seated beside him) and Patrick (in a sweater vest and cap) take a moment for tea-

My great uncle Peter milking by hand- before the milking parlor was built


Back to baling Hay











The lane in from the Newbliss road. Our little piece of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment