Friday, March 5, 2010

Peace Corps Anniversary

On March 1st, 1961, President John F. Kennedy created the Peace Corps, and since then, thousands of volunteers from all across America have served in countries around the world.

I am honored to have served in Guatemala. I had always planned to serve. In Eight grade, my class was shown a video of volunteers working in different countries. One was a nurse serving in an African nation. I decided then and there that I would, as an adult, be a nurse in the Peace Corps and make a difference.

I think my parents believed I would outgrow the desire. Many of my friends thought I was crazy. And many asked me how I could believe that I could change the world.

These people were never volunteers.

I joined. I served. I taught. But I received so much more than I gave.

The children in my village showed me how to make a top from a bit of wood and how to make it spin. The mothers gave me sage advice about living in Guatemala. A male friend taught me to dance and patiently corrected my Spanish over and over again. I learned to slow down, I learned to appreciate that my way was not the only way. I washed in a large bucket, because I had no shower. I baked in a pot because I had no oven. I slept in a bug net- and it wasn't only because of mosquitoes...

Beans and rice were the staples in my diet. Lizards darted across the road and in time I stopped noticing them- they became routine. I fell in love with tamales- they are amazing. I walked everywhere. I loved walking down to the river, I remember the spring at the base of the mountain, hidden by trees, as one of the most beautiful places...

I learned you can sit three adults in a school bus seat. And that sometimes a chicken will peck your ankles. I lived in a house of cement block with a tin roof. My furniture was all hand made and basic.

I have thousands of memories, moments in time. Peace Corps is a tough job- being away from everyone and everything you know. But I loved it.

Happy Birthday, Peace Corps!

No comments:

Post a Comment