Thursday, March 11, 2010

FDNY

In honor of my friend Abby chatting up a hot fire fighter in Brooklyn today, I have decided to discuss New York's Bravest.

I never understood firefighters. The whole running into burning buildings to save people you don't know... I don't get it... Having been in a fire as child, I have a tremendous, perhaps irrational fear of fire... so I have tremendous respect for these men (and women)...but I would never date a firefighter. The fear is ingrained in me.

I worked as a temp at Metro Tech- did medical referrals for firefighters, chaperoning exams, doing PPDs and vaccines and such. And in 2000, I oversaw the urine drug screening at the firefighter test. In the six months I worked there, my admiration for these brave men grew. They were still little boys- there were no female firefighters working the test- and they were kind and chivalry was alive and well...

These men worked hard, played hard, and were one big family. They teased one another, told fascinating, terrifying stories, and made me grateful every day that there were brave men willing to do this job- and love it.

Larry, Tom, and Walter were in charge and oversaw the FDNY side of the test. Walter and I shared a love of the same author, and Larry and Tom teased us... working with these men, glimpsing at that life, was a gift- to be one of them, sort of, was wonderful.

So on 9/11/01, I prayed for these men I met, and all their brothers. Over 300 were lost among the 3000 dead. The wall of the fallen at Metro Tech doubled in size in a single day.

Dennis, Michael, Ray... just a few of those lost but they were firemen I knew. From the neighborhood. They died doing a job they loved. When Michael's body was recovered, they found that his last act this side of the grave was to open his coat and wrap it around the woman he was leading out of the towers. How can anyone be that brave? That selfless?

Firefighters are that brave. And I am thankful every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment