Monday, May 26, 2014

TV 2013-2014



Okay, now that the season is over for my main TV shows, and before we start up on the Summer Run series, I would like to reflect on some of what I liked/loved/will miss…

First the ones that will not be back:

The Carrie Diaries, one of my guilty pleasures, will be missed but ended in a good place. I thought it was a cute show and yet I can see where it would be hard to get it much closer to SATC without issues arising.

Necessary Roughness: Sad, so sad- no more TK, no knowing if Nico and Dr. Santino make it as a couple after jetting off in his private plane... Nico has a private plane?!?! And I was always rooting for Matt to return... Bah humbug!

Intelligence: I really enjoyed this and I hate that it is gone already. And not just because Josh Holloway in Prime Time is a gift from the TV gods. I really enjoyed it and wish it was coming back.

Hostages- yes, I watched it till the bitter end. Not the worst thing I have ever watched, but one season was enough.

Friends With Better Lives: It is a cute concept and amusing and the cast is fun, but it's not nearly as sharp as Modern Family and the Big Bang.

And now for the shows I will be waiting for...

Scandal- The finale... it was like a season in an hour... an episode on speed... well we know Harrison is dying since Columbus Short is not returning... And that Cyrus would let a church full of people die just to get rid of Sally, that Liv's dad was perfectly fine having his minion kill the President's son (HOLY HEAVENS) and that he is pure evil...  And Fitz now knows his old man was not any better- as he now knows Mellie suffered at his hands... And we of Team Jake get to believe, at least for a little while, there is a happily ever after with them flying off into the wild blue yonder... Before he goes- Jake sends David all the documents who could ever want about Liv's evil dad and his evil deeds... So he is still wearing a white hat, even after killing James... But I hate that the season was so short. And I hate that we don't know when it is coming back...

Nashville… Oh Nashville you break my heart… I was so Team Deacon. And then he kissed a newly engaged Rayna… yucky. And poor Will and his horrified wife- wait till they find out they were lied to regarding no cameras in the bedroom for their reality show when the episode of his “I’m gay” confession airs, wrong on so many levels… And Avery, oh Avery… please forgive her, Juliette is so sorry she slept with that beast of a creep Jeff Fordham ~ isn’t not having amnesia enough punishment? And thank the lucky stars we were renewed for another season- though I have NO IDEA how I am supposed to wait all summer and early fall….

Chicago Fire is KILLING ME! Mayday, Mayday, Mayday… Seriously, I do not even want to know who is already signed to do next season and who isn’t because I don’t want to know someone is dead/not… except I really want to know… Darn it! Oh, and Mouch and the Sergeant- too cute. I hope he isn’t dead.  Shay dying would get rid of Devon, who so needs to go…  And one of the Dawson/Casey pair being badly hurt seems likely… Is it September yet?

Grey’s Anatomy saying goodbye to Christina was like the Grey’s of old… Burke... so knew he was married... I like that Christina helped Alex have another option than the boring private practice thing. And it was nice she referenced George... but in doing so, it was odd not to mention Izzy...  I like that “Shepardess” is staying, and don’t care if McDreamy stays or goes…  And getting rid of two annoying interns and bringing in a daughter Richard never knew he had… interesting…  Clearly she is why Ellis left Seattle for Boston. Weird we never found out what happened to the missing kid…

DWTS: The Final Four, Amy, Candice, James and Meryl made a good mix (I would have subbed Wini Cooper for DJ but whatever...)  and the one night a week format makes me happy, which made the split finale a big old pain! And then they eliminated James- Peta looked so sad. Can I say Mark with his shoulder injury powering through while winching in pain... The show must go on... and then Amy on the rope... Seriously Len, it was amazing how do you give them a 9... So on night Two of the season finale (two hours that really could have been done in an hour- I DVRed and watched something else for the first hour and watched the rest with enough prerecorded so I could skip a load of junk they padded the episode with) had 24 hour change-up dances and all three couples did well, though I thought Meryl lost her place there for a minute... Then the decision...  First Candice was announced as the Third place contestant and then after the dramatic stall... they announced Meryl and Maks as the winners and EVERYONE went wild. Maks FINALLY won! That is not to say Amy winning would have been a bad thing- either way it went I was happy- but Maks winning was wonderful.

Mad Men  and this BS split season- which, I hate to break it to you, is actually two really short separate seasons, may have jumped the shark. Between the loping off of a male nipple- poor Ginsburg- and the least attractive ménage à trois in TV history, seriously, not sure what their point is… Harry Crane a partner- I just want to vomit...  But I loved when Don danced with Peggy to My Way by old Blue Eyes. Another tender moment was  the Burger Chef meal with Don, Peggy and Peter- They are the kids Don can be proud of. And then the attempted coup- followed by Burt Cooper dying... and Cutler's cold-blooded assessment that they boost Don from the agency at the same time as Burt gets his send-off chills Roger... Him calling Don to let him know about Burt and Don's tender response... And Don building up Peggy to get the Burger Chef business was wonderful... Her presentation was great! Just like Don taught her ... Roger setting everything up with McCann showed fighting spirit and his loyalty to Don... But I have now idea what to make of Burt's ghost singing and dancing to "The Best Things in Life are Free"...

Bones:  Someone high up in the FBI is rotten to the core and has Booth and Brennen both in cuffs after an amazing action packed season finale (My vote for the bad guy is the Deputy Director, by the way). I figure with Hodgins, Angela, Cam Caroline and Sweets working through all the material they have collected on the bad guy (with all the interns helping out), they will figure it all out and get the bad guy locked up before the end of the season opener. But Booth going back to the FBI??? I will have to think about that.

The Blacklist: Best new show this year... It will be interesting to see how they restructure the task force with Meera dead and Director Cooper hanging by a thread. I don't think Tom is dead, by the way- the body was gone when reinforcements arrived... No body, not dead... I think Red sent the cleaner lady to save Tom and find out what he knows.  I also think... Red was friends with the dissident who married Berlin's daughter (the girl who's photo he stole from the photo album of Stewmaker ) and Lizzy is their child. The Stewmaker killed her mother because Red and the dissident both loved her. Because he loved her mother, Red rescued Lizzy from the house fire that he believes killed her father, he hid Lizzy with Sam. (JoJo Marshall asked: Is the dissident now actually the powerful Russian who chartered the plane to bring Berlin to justice??? Now that could be fun!) So two bad guys next season... though Ressler, Keen and Aram are the only healthy team members left to chase the bad guys with Red's help.
 
NCIS- Honoring Ralph Waite after his death with the cast mourning the death of his character, Jackson Gibbs was wonderful. And tying in Alejandro Rivera, who's father Gibbs killed, was just good story telling. Loved it. I am still not sure about NCIS New Orleans...but am willing to give it a try.

Chicago PD: Antonio shot... seriously?!? I was with Voight about Pulpo- The Chicago necklace suited him after killing three cops and shooting Antonio. I am a little disturbed that Jin is the rat and it makes me sick to my stomach that Sumner was with Stillwell~ makes me feel icky. Lindsey and Charley and his ex and son... another icky vibe from the get-go. Charley has a past crime on the girls and wants Lindsey to help him blow through a jewelry exchange... Instead, Voight has her back and makes it right. He also has a chat with Jin... who sends his dad out of Chicago ASAP and saves all his computer stuff on a flashdrive for ??? we don't know... Antonio's wife leaving was wrong... But Jin dead... That I did not see coming...

NCIS: LA- In the season where G is dating... Yes, you read that right, he is being a normal person and dating... And Deeks/Kensi crossing that line... And then the finale... Hetty to Washington after giving Nell the "What to do if you don't hear from me" was bad, Sam and G on a sub rigged like a bomb was worse... And now I have to wait all summer? That is just not right....

Modern Family: Wildfires at the wedding venue could not have been funnier. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Nathan Lane as Pepper. He is just always the right amount of over the top. The fire, childbirth, and multiple changes of venue are the chaos before the perfect wedding- at Jay's club on the ocean, preformed by Phil in a tender way, and followed by a wonderful loving speech by Clair... Just perfect!

The Big Bang Theory: Sheldon takes to the rails because he cannot change his area of study and cannot cope with a married Leonard living with Penny instead of him. Raj goes all the way with his articulate funny normal girlfriend and the comic book store burning down leave Howard and Bernadette with full- time help in the form of a completely upbeat Stuart Bloom who gets along famously with Howard's bedridden mom. Now that is a couple nobody saw coming.


Criminal Minds: Matt Cruz as the new leader and an old associate of JJ's played out well at the start of the season (So glad he wasn't a bad guy) Morgan is dating seriously (and hearts break all over the Criminal Minds universe).  Blake is the latest team member to give up on the BAU, not willing to sacrifice her life and marriage for the job. Her son's death at age 9 is on her mind throughout the final episode and she leaves her credentials with Reid, her choice made. Like Gideon, Elle and Prentiss (in some ways), her time with the BAU has changed her. I am curious to see who replaces her.

Elementary: Okay, the way I look at it, they had a four part season finale and I really enjoyed it. Sherlock Holmes in all it's forms and fashions- I am always going to be watching.

CSI: So I am the first to admit- I save up CSI for when I have watched everything else. So I have six episodes to see before my summer shows start in a couple of weeks. I can hardly wait....


No comments:

Post a Comment