Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thankfulness Journal Day 22

Today is all about my mother, Nuala Elizabeth Kelly who was born three quarters of a century ago today. She was always a special person and today I remember:

She taught my Aunt Irene to drive... a fact my aunt is still grateful for...

She let me have pet mice and my sister Ellen pet hamsters, even though they terrified her.

She once made and entire loaf of bread worth of French Toast when my cousins were over, and we ate every piece.

She introduced me to some of the greatest films ever made: It's a Wonderful Life, Roman Holiday, Sabrina... She loved Audrey Hepburn...

She read all the time and instilled the importance of reading- there were always books in the house.

She was kind to everyone, and a true friend. We did not always agree but I always knew I was loved.

Happy Birthday in Heaven Mom- we all miss you!


The "definitive version", as published by The Times and The Sunday Times in Mary Frye's obituary, 5 November 2004:


Do not stand at my grave and weep,

I am not there; I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow,

I am the diamond glints on snow,

I am the sun on ripened grain,

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning’s hush

I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circling flight.

I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,

I am not there; I did not die.

No comments:

Post a Comment