Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Silence of the victim

Black male code was an article that really got me thinking.  I did know about the black male code until it was explained to me when I was working in the South Bronx Children's Health Center. Richard, a co-worker of mine who worked at the Manhattan office explained it to me in very basic terms. He said, "Geri, you never think about being a white woman. But every day, I am reminded that I am a black man."

He was right. I might have given thought to being female, but never consciously thought about being white.

And then George Zimmerman blamed a young black boy in a hoodie for Zimmerman killing him. He- a grown man armed with a pistol, feared for his life because the boy was black. Trayvon is dead and somehow Zimmerman is the victim...

When Robert Chambers killed Jennifer Levin, it was his story too- she asked for it because she liked it rough.

At least he went to jail.

Zimmerman will walk.

Because Trayvon was black.

People will disagree with me. But truth is truth. If it was a white kid, this man would have already accepted a plea deal. Because nobody would be saying he was justified in killing an unarmed teenager.

I pray for Trayvon's family...

And I know that God is watching over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment