Wednesday, March 13, 2013

45 New things

Today I turn 46 years old.

Last year, in honor my 45th Birthday, I set out to have 45 new experiences- not as easy as you would think, as I have led an adventurous life and have already done many of the normal "Bucket List" activities- skydiving anyone? But that was my plan and I set out to make it happen.

So how did I do? Well, there were some hits and DEFINITELY some misses and it has been one heck of an adventure.


So I started with…



Also in the performing arts arena, I also performed with my Dunyavi class at a fundraiser Hafla with live music in front of a live audience and posted my first YouTube Video (of us dancing at the hafla). It is here if you have not seen it: Dunyavi at the Hafla.  Later in the year, we preformed again to promote the classes at the Fairfield Community Arts Center, dancing on the Village Green.

New foods played a big part in my new adventures. I ate at The Table, a fancy French restaurant in Cincinnati and had snails and frog legs. The snails were not in the shells and tasted a lot like mushrooms- a pleasant surprise. I didn't enjoy the frogs legs and will skip them next time.

Sushi at Kyoto’s in Montgomery was a surprise hit(I am officially a convert- LOVE IT). And then there was moose meat- freshly canned and shipped to me from Alaska from my friend Elaine. And one of the more interesting new tastes was at the Cincinnatian- tequila sorbet… Something new to do with tequila…  Who would have known?

Most recently, I had mussels as an appetizer and truffle juice in mac and cheese- you could get used to such great offerings.

Some new events were small things. I bottle fed lambs. I hosted a Lia Sophia party, and (FINALLY) won a derby hat at the DebRA event in Louisville.

Some were very expensive. My very first (and God willing last) dental implant and it really wasn't too bad, actually. Not that there wasn't discomfort, but I really like having that tooth back.



In March, John and I went to the State house in Columbus- a day of firsts for both of us. We went to support the opposition to SB 310, and were filmed for a British documentary as well as being on the local news. The bill did pass, sadly, but some changes were included... still bad news for too many people.

On April 1st, with hilarious results, I wrote a masterful April Fool's prank. Some of my amazing friends are sure to get even for the panic I set off. I am on the watch for it.

I had my cousin dye my hair red for the very first time. Which went okay the first time...And then I dyed it a second time… OH GOOD GOD… Red can go SO wrong. The doctor I work with, on seeing it, exclaimed, "WHAT did Geri do to her hair?!?" She wasn't wrong... Ridiculous Red...
Ridiculous Red

Clearly the next item on the list was color correction by Jon at OMG in Hyde Park- That man makes magic happen:
So much better

And in keeping with the girlie girl firsts, I got a pedicure (so not my thing- I do not like people messing with my feet) and a Pink and White manicure (Lindsey you are so right- it is the greatest thing ever- I had my own beautiful nails for the first time ever!)

Three of the "New things" are now joining traveling in the Arctic on my list of things I NEVER intend to do again.

1. The Craigslist personal ad... not even going there...

2. Shopping on Black Friday (I stand by the opinion that there just is not enough money to be saved to make it worth the chaos of shopping in the middle of the night.)

3. Glass-blowing:

How on earth did I overlook the fact that FIRE is a huge part of glass making?!?! Have I mentioned fire TERRIFIES me? I spilled molten glass on the floor...


My very sad looking glass

In the reptile world, I had our first clutch of corn snakes hatch, eight baby corns in all.



Snake eggs: Aren't they cute

I sold Mr. White, my cranky snow, as well as five of the babies. My baby snow died... poor little girl. I also bought and sold my first ball python. We currently have twenty-two snakes at home.




On "Fitness on the Field" Day, I was able to suit up in football gear, run the ball, made a (very sad)attempt at a field goal (which was SO MUCH HARDER than the guys on TV make it look- why they get paid the big bucks, I suppose...), hung out with Who Dey and had a great day. Football should always be this fun.

In travel news, I drove across the Mississippi River for the first time and visited Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Rode roller coasters at the Mall of America. So much fun. I think the last roller coaster I was on was at New York-New York in Vegas- and I was wearing a wedding dress at the time...




The biggest travel event by far was winning the silent auction Photo Safari- I am going to Africa! I am going swimming in the Indian Ocean, the only ocean I have yet to lay eyes on. A dream come true and the trip of a lifetime... July 2013 cannot get here soon enough!

I broke a bone in my left foot and spent a LONG time in a boot- the first time in my life that I broke a bone, but not really the type of "first" I was going for.

By the end of September, I was able to complete the thirty six hours of Foster Caregiver training required in the state of Ohio. As soon as my home study is completed, I will be a licensed foster parent.

I became the owner of a lovely Coach Bag- a gift from my daughter. LOVE IT! Something I always wanted. There may be some girlie girl in me after all. And Liz wants to borrow it... so far I am not sharing!

Overcoming a long standing fear, I held a tarantula.... her feet are hairy and tickle a bit...



In November, I attending my  first support group for divorced folks, Surviving the Holidays, hosted by Beginning Experience. I just wish I had followed all the great advice I received. Next year for sure... I also skipped election day because neither candidate impressed me. First time I have skipped a vote since I was able to.

The Polar Plunge at Joe's Crab Shack on Groundhog's day was very sadly put on hold after I had the worst flu through most of January. And then John hurt his arm so we missed Rock climbing- picture my sad face... Maybe for my "50 at 50".

I am going for African drum lessons after buying my very first drum... I am terrible but hope to improve.

On January 24th 2013, I finished writing and submitted my first journal article for consideration... Big step forward professionally. Then on February 27th, they asked for revisions because they want to PUBLISH MY ARTICLE! On March 11th, I submitted my revisions. Holy Cow, I am going to be in PubMed!

So that was my year... and my list... What have you challenged yourself to do lately?

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a great year Geri.. Well done!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, I think I will follow in your footsteps and make a list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stepping foot on Bengal field?! oh, absolute no no. 49ers beat them twice in Super Bowl! good for you re 45 things, are you gonna try 50 shades of grey next? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be an ABSOLUTELY NO on the 50 shades...

      Delete