Friday, July 15, 2011

Ode to Harry Potter

I am sure a million people will be lining up to see the final movie. I bought my tickets on July 5, just to be on the safe side. I will be in my seat at 12:05am when this final part of the journey begins.

So how did I fall for Harry Potter? It all started at BJ’s in Cortlandt Manor. They had the first three books in hardcover, and they were under $10 each. I had heard all the buzz, was in need of a new book and figured I would see what everyone else had already discovered.

I was hooked from the first chapter. Fast moving and very well written, I was through the three volumes in rapid time, and left to wait for the fourth volume and the movies which were in the pipeline.

Harry Potter book releases became an event. I would re-read the previous books so the story was fresh in my mind when the next volume arrived. Pre-ordered from Amazon, I would have the book in my hands by 10am and would read undisturbed till the last page. Heaven!

Each movie was well done, though as a huge fan of the books, I knew the pieces that were missing. I remember taking my very young son to see Goblet of Fire and he was terrified of the dragons. As he has gotten older, it has become his favorite of the group.

I was in Ohio for Order of the Phoenix. My only interruption was a conference call for a patient (yeah it was Saturday, but it was important) The mom asked, when we finished discussing her child, what page I had gotten to…I was nearly to 300 already…

But I was getting impatient waiting for the mail to arrive. I became the person who went shopping at midnight to pick up The Half Blood Prince.

When Snape did what he did, I sobbed. I felt betrayed. I always thought he would ultimately be the good guy Dumbledore said he was. The worst part of my grief? I could tell no one. I was the only one in my circle that had already finished the book. Because of course, it had only been released 14 hours earlier…

Waiting for The Deadly Hallows was bittersweet. The journey was ending. And while the book was very well done, with an Epilogue to please the fans, I was sad that the story ended.

And now, with the final movie out this Friday, the journey will be complete. This story of heros, of love, friendship and bravery will be complete. JK Rowlings has given the world a great gift. I will always be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment