Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Directv and a free Premium weekend (January 8-11)

Since Directv gave me a free weekend of movie channels, I DVRed as many as I could, so I have movies to watch. And since I never go to the movies, the vast majority are movies I have never seen.

So far I have made it through 7 of the movies and I liked most of them. Here is my list so far:


(Internet Movie Database movie descriptions are used)

Black Nativity (2013):A street-wise teen from Baltimore who has been raised by a single mother travels to New York City to spend the Christmas holiday with his estranged relatives, where he embarks on a surprising and inspirational journey.
 
My take: It is a musical, which was a nice surprise for me. And such amazing voices- a Christmas treat for me

The Best Man Holiday (2013)When college friends reunite after 15 years over the Christmas holidays, they discover just how easy it is for long-forgotten rivalries and romances to be reignited.

My take: This movie had light moments, but a dying best friend breaks my heart every time.

Jennifer Lopez: Dance Again (2014)- A documentary that chronicles Jennifer Lopez's life on and off-stage during her first ever world tour.

My take: My favorite moment- Jennifer and Marc sharing the stage in Puerto Rico

CBGB (2013) A look at the New York City punk-rock scene and the venerable nightclub, CBGB.

My take: A guilty pleasure for this New York girl of the 80’s.

The Normal Heart (2014) A gay activist attempts to raise HIV/AIDS awareness during the early 1980s.

My take: Powerful, sad and amazing. It is a reminder of how it all started not so long ago.

The Other Woman (2014) After discovering her boyfriend is married, Carly soon meets the wife he's been betraying. And when yet another love affair is discovered, all three women team up to plot revenge on the three-timing S.O.B.

My take: A silly comedy and girl-power. In a word, fun.

August: Osage County (2013) A look at the lives of the strong-willed women of the Weston family, whose paths have diverged until a family crisis brings them back to the Oklahoma house they grew up in, and to the dysfunctional woman who raised them.

My take: Dreary, sad, dark and ugly. The acting may have been great but I want my two hours back.

No comments:

Post a Comment