Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Composting

I have started a compost pile in my yard. I had an area where a tree was removed years ago and there was a significant hole left behind. I have been filling it with grass cuttings, but decided I would start composting our eggshells, veggie left overs and tea bags in the hole as well.

I had looked into the composting bins etc, but I like the fact that I don't have to buy anything to make this work. And I am trying to keep it simple.

I use an old kitty litter bucket in the house to collect the compost material and take it outside when the bucket is full (the lid snaps shut so there is no foul odor.)

After I added everything to the hole, I used additional grass clippings to cover over the addition and keep the smell down, packing it down into the hole. It is a pretty deep hole...

And when this hole is full, I will start on the other depressions in my yard. Eventually I will need to designate an area, but for now this is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment