Wednesday, October 15, 2014

21 years ago today...

My Beautiful Girl is 21 years old.

 Today.

Right now... She is a college student and works part time and the world today is different from the one she was born in.

The day she was born, Nelson Mandela and the South Africa president F W de Klerk were awarded Nobel Peace Prize.
It was 1993, so Bill Clinton was president, I could mail a letter for 29 cents, buy gas for less than $1.20/gallon and milk for 2.86/gallon and I still owned a TV (my only TV) with two dials, no remote and rabbit ears and the Dow Jones hit 3764, a record high at that time.

It would be years before I owned a computer or a cell phone or pay for cable television. 


It was  the year Barbra Streisand preformed live in a public concert for the first time in 20 years, the Late Show was offered to David Letterman, and Unforgiven won the Best Film Oscar. (I hated that movie...just saying) and NY Yankee Don Mattingly hit his 200th HR

It was the year the Branch Davidian compound burned down in Waco, the PLO recognizes state of Israel, and sadly, the year of the Battle of Mogadishu Somalia, where we lost 18 US military personnel in heavy fighting.



Madeline was her first sitter and she grew up with Andy and Alex, her cousins closest in age.

It was the year Joe Buttafuoco was sentenced to 6 months for statutory rape of Amy Fisher who went to jail for much longer after trying to kill Joey's wife. When I got home, my siblings were astonished that I had NO IDEA who these people were. I only wish that had remained the case...





My cousins, the McKennas adopted her as one of them and  it was amazing to have their support.


In 1993, Whitney Houston's "I Will Always Love You" was the year's chart topper, and we lost Audrey Hepburn, Vincent Price, Frank Zappa, River Phoenix and Spanky. We also said goodbye to "The Wonder Years" and "Cheers".


So what happened the year you were born...

No comments:

Post a Comment