Friday, February 1, 2013

Smoking

20 years ago this month, on learning that I was expecting my first child, I stopped smoking.

While I struggled with the flu this year for weeks and started to wheeze and couldn't catch my breath, I thought about what an idiot I was to have ever started in the first place.

I was diagnosed with asthma over seven years ago, and when I get sick, my asthma makes things so much worse. And yet every cigarette contributed to the problem.

My father in law died from a recurrence of lung cancer.

My friend's mom died the same way.

At least they had the excuse of not knowing better when they started.

I did.

I knew better.

Yet during the stressful years of college, I let the habit develop. I traveled to Ireland and increased how much I smoked.

The day I found out I was having a baby, I stopped.

Not that I haven't slipped over the years. Had one or two, here and there.

And I know better.

So to all of you who struggle, I will pray for you. It is a battle. But please, please do all you can to stop. You will never regret quitting.

Good Luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment