Wednesday, May 2, 2012

DWTS

Classical Week on DWTS featured some of my favorite classical pieces, but while William danced to Ave Maria… The young girl Jackie Evancho singing stole the show… And to take it from William… That is something. She had the voice of an angel.


I loved Katherine. She was in her element dancing to music she knew, “Canon in D Major” (which I love) that was a part of her . She and Mark click and it shows.

Roshon did very well and they kept going even after what I suspect was a significant costume slip for his sweet lady. They danced to “Bad Romance”- classical Lady Gaga? Odd, but not off-putting.

Melissa and Maks stepped up the degree of difficulty which is impressive considering how much pain Maks must be in. I loved his brother helping , ready to step in as needed. “Marriage of Figaro” is not easy music, and I think Melissa, who had had SERIOUS back surgery, was CRAZY to attempt so many complicated lifts. (But she succeeded even if the judges weren’t impressed)

Donald danced well, Peta gave him a tough routine and and they were powerful, impressing the judges. “La Donna è Mobile” was sung by Vittorio Grigolo… Can I say WOW!!! Sorry Donald, but Vittorio had all my attention.

Jaleel did well. As expected… “Did I Make the Most of Loving You?” is not a piece I knew, but was lovely. I am loving Classical Week…

And now we come to Maria and Derrick. They performed a Paso to “Montagues and Capulets” that reminded me of the intensity of Drew Lachey's in what became one of DWTS’ best moments. They were AMAZING. Far and away The Best Performance of the night. The bar was raised and the judges recognized it with the first perfect score of the season. Maria and Derrick were elated, as was Katherine (seated behind them when scores were shown). I think she was as excited for them a she would be if she scored a perfect 30.

The team dances were very good and high caliber but I can’t see how you judge a Paso against a Tango.

Team Tango consisted of Katherine and Mark, Roshon and Chelsie and Jaleel and Kym, and Maria and Derek. They danced to “Toccata from Symphony No. 5″. The Pros did a great job on planning the dance movements and the stars lived up to the challenge. It was lovely to watch.

Team Paso consisted of William and Cheryl, Melissa and Maks, and Donald and Peta. Three very powerful men- the dance suited them. They danced to “O Fortuna” by Vittorio Grigolo and the combination was powerful. They got knocked on the cape work, but I have danced with veils and know how hard that is to do, never mind doing in time with others…

Both groups did well, with Tango having a single point lead…

Tradition said one of the Paso team would go home, so when Donald and William were safe early, I thought Melissa was headed straight to the bottom two dance-off. When she was announced safe I think she and Maks both were stunned. I know I was.

The Rumba dance-off saw Roshon and Jaleel as our bottom two. Roshon… Again. I have lost count of how many times he has been in the bottom two. And it showed how much Roshon took to heart the earlier corrections the judges gave him on his Rumba. He and Chelsie were elegant and connected. Jaleel did well, but Roshon was the clear winner. Poor Jaleel went home…

And then there were six…



No comments:

Post a Comment