Friday, April 29, 2011

Happy Anniversay

On April 29, 1994, my sister Ellen got married to Tommy, my dear brother in law. The wedding week was full of arrivals of overseas and out of town guests and celebrations. I took three days off from work and enjoyed the luxury of time spent with family and friends.

Flashes and moments stand out in my mind...

The feather "Fifi" high heeled slippers Elle got as a gift to take on her honeymoon, the new pink carpet Mom had installed so the house looked good in the pictures, our lovely blue dresses with the white lace- not a butt bow in sight...

On the big day, dressing at my parents home, and my father had the unenviable job of closing thousands of bra hooks on every female relative, as we were all wearing the waist length ones and also had our nail extensions, so we were helpless to hook them ourselves. Then, he had to lift my girdle up, one side at a time. I had my daughter only months before and was determined to have a flat belly in photos. Yes, it was as funny as it sounds. If we had video, my dad would easily have won the "Funniest Home Video" prize.

My sister, the bride, with only her undergarments and veil in place, hair and make-up done and the shriek she let out as the photographer arrived while she was still sans dress.

My nephew at the church, joining Elle and Tom on the alter- How Andy loved his uncle Tommy. The priest saying Tommy would fall short and Elle would fail- jerk! Shows what he knew.

Dancing so much at the reception that none of us ate- I think we missed five courses in all.

Mom's hilarious story of taking the newlyweds to the airport.

Noel and Keith discovering, to their collective horror, that April had only thirty days, so they were leaving on Sunday, not Monday.

Peg returning to work after her "sick day" so hung over that her students and colleagues thought she was still ill.

What a wonderful time, and such great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment