Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Oxford 2014 Word of the Year is...

The Oxford 2014 Word of the Year is...: "Vape" can be used as either a noun meaning "an electronic cigarette or similar device" or a verb in which one would "inhale and exhale the vapour produced by an electronic cigarette or similar device." CNN reports

Vape is also known as a word I NEVER HEARD OF until voted the Word of the Year and I really cannot imagine a setting where I would ever use it. The same can be said for the runner-up words in the article.

I decided I would collect words that were new to me this year


recalcitrant: having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority or discipline.
elucidate: make (something) clear; explain

Funny story- my friend used elucidate to describe something I wrote on Ebola a while ago, and having never seen the word before, I looked it up to see what it meant. I mentioned looking it up to my son- a big reader in my house- and he told me what it meant... It was used in one of the books he was reading. Starting to see why he is a bit bored in school.

Recalcitrant, on the other hand, was used in a wound care article I was reading to describe a stubborn wound that refused to heal.

Learning something new every day...

No comments:

Post a Comment