Monday, December 22, 2014

NYPD and Tommy

My brother, Tommy, married my baby sister Ellen in 1994. They have three amazing children and live in a lovely house just north of New York City.

Tommy is also a detective in the NYPD.

For over twenty years he has served New York City. He worked Narcotics in the Bronx, was a bike cop, and worked on the pile for 9 months after September 11th's terror attack. 9 months. I just can't imagine that.

He worked every New Year's Eve for over 15 years, missed Christmas, birthdays, and many special events over the course of his career.

He has been assaulted by prisoners to the point of needing surgery to correct his injuries. He works harder than anyone I know. And every single time I hear that a member of the NYPD was shot, I think of Tommy.

I worry.

I pray.

For him and all the good cops out there doing one of the toughest jobs I can imagine... right up there with the military and firefighting I am so glad people like him are willing and able to do it, because I could not do what he does every day.

Two of New York's Finest were executed this week on the job. Both married, one with children. Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos were murdered while doing their job.

Do some cops make mistakes? Absolutely. Are a few cops bad apples? Yes. Just like there are bad apples in every other profession. That said, the vast majority of Police Officers are good, hard working, amazing men and women who are doing their best to make the world safer for the rest of us.

I am praying for all the families impacted by violence, praying for peace. I am also praying for Tommy and his comrades, fighting the good fight. That they do good work and go home safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment