Sunday, February 12, 2012

Death and Taxes

It is that time of year again.

I spent all day doing my taxes. A process that is really more complicated than necessary. I miss the short form... filling out four lines of information and mailing out the return. The simplicity...

But that was before I had a tax life... Before kids aka dependants and a child care deduction, a house aka interest/property tax deduction, and stock ownership aka dividend reporting.

I use TurboTax now, and have for 3 years and have been happy with the result.

So I collect all my documents, and I answer all the questions. Then TurboTax blurts out the end result.

I have ABSOLUTELY no understanding of how it figures out what I get back/owe. Is it bad that I also don't really care? I just want to get it done. And if I don't owe Uncle Sam another boatload of money, that is bonus.

This year, I am getting a small check from the IRS. The state of Ohio is sending me a check for...



Drumroll please...



$9...

Hardly seems worth the effort...

And I still have to file with Fairfield...

I know there is no avoiding taxes... but taxes will be the death of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment