Tuesday, February 14, 2012

“But, Mom, I am dying…”

My daughter called me at work yesterday. Several times. Interrupting my efforts to finish a paper I am writing.

She woke up sick and called to tell me about how sick she was… “I am dying…”

I was not too sympathetic. And was not going to leave work. Which annoyed my child. And she shared her annoyance with me. I told her to go to the Urgent Care Center if she wanted to see a doctor. That a doctor could evaluate her and tell her what was wrong.

She is sure she has Mono…

I also told her she didn’t have Mono, and I didn’t care WHAT Google had to say on the subject.

MEAN MOMMY!

The fact that I have been a nurse for over 20 years and have triaged thousands of sick children aside, I was not overly concerned about her. Nobody who is terribly sick has the energy to argue that much.

Today, my daughter went to see the doctor, and I am really happy I was not required to go- her being 18 has that advantage. She discovered what a co-pay is ($50), much to her dismay and found out she has a sinus infection.

Not Mono.

I won’t say I told her so…

She dropped off her own prescription at CVS, which has its own co-pay ($10) and will soon be on the road to recovery.

And now I can get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment