Friday, January 3, 2020

Book Reviews 2020: When Less Becomes More, Boundaries; Total Money Makeover

I listened to all three books I will review on Hoopla last month. I really love Hoopla- though six audiobooks a month still seems a little stingy for me.
When Less Becomes More: Making Space for Slow, Simple, and Good by Emily Ley focuses on reducing the overscheduled life to reduce the burnout we all suffer from.  I loved this book- the simplicity and solid examples were just what I needed to hear- I may borrow it again, but I want to check out Emily’s other books first- she is a new favorite!
Boundaries Updated and Expanded Edition: When to Say Yes, How to Say No To Take Control of Your Life by Henry Cloud and John Townsend I listened to  as it is recommended by the Dave Ramsey folks as a good way to set limits on people in your life who are draining you- I was focused on the financial draining piece, but recognize I have many additional areas in my life where my boundaries need some work and attention.
That said, this book is based in a Christian setting, with MANY bible references and that can be overwhelming. I did not read the references while listening to the book (I was driving for most of it) so I may have missed bits along the way. I am also pretty sure this is not a book I will read again. Once was enough.
The third book on my list is one I have read before and will read again. I have been a Dave Ramsey girl since 2014 and am striving to live a debt free life. That said, I have areas where review is a good thing.
The Total Money Makeover: Classic Edition: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey is a step by step plan to get yourself free of debt. Our US society tells us debt is normal, car payments are normal- Dave tells us it is time to be weird. It is a simple plan that is not easy but is well worth it. I have not yet reached “Debt Free” but I am focused and making strides! Love me some Dave!

No comments:

Post a Comment