Wednesday, April 16, 2014

House Hunting

So the winter was really rough and driving almost an hour each way to work is less than ideal, so I started working with a real estate agent to see about selling my house and getting a place in Norwood, ten minutes from work.

I expected, based on her computations, to get enough from my house to pay for pre-sale repairs and new carpet and still have enough for my down-payment and closing on whatever we purchased.

My family and I cleaned and packed for 2 weeks, Tony and Steve fixed a bunch of small problems and we listed the house the first week of April.

I have looked at a number of houses in Norwood and more than one would work for us. But I have to sell mine first.

In the first week, we have had 4 official showings and 2 unofficial showings, but nobody is interested so far, in spite of the nice finishes my house has. Too small, the upstairs, the bedrooms...

At 1000 square feet, it is going to be a compact house.

But it shows nice- according to our feedback.

Then my realtor and I went over the calculations again and somewhere in the original version a huge error was made. I will make a third of what I was originally told I would have. The two realtors would walk away with more money. Unbelievable.

After almost eight years and almost a total rehab to make the house beautiful...

So unless I get a wildly impressive offer- which is unlikely in the current market- it looks like I am staying put.  In my really beautiful cosy little house. Which is not so bad after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment