Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Retrieved Reformation

When I was in Seventh grade, we read a story about Jimmy Valentine. He was released from jail after Ben Price caught up with him and arrested him- Jimmy was a safe cracker by trade...

After robberies in Indiana and Mousouri, Jimmy moved to Elmore, Arkansas and became Ralph D. Spencer. He opened a shoe store (the trade he learned in prison) and set out to win Annabel Adams' hand in marriage.

I won't spoil the end, but it remains my favorite. Even though I could not remember the author's name, I remembered the story. It wasn't till college that I learned it was written by O. Henry, author of Gift of the Magi- another wonderful tale.

So if you are looking for a wonderful warm feeling, read this story and fall in love!

No comments:

Post a Comment