Wednesday, December 12, 2012

74 years ago...

My mom, Nuala Elizabeth Moore was born on 12/12/1938, the first child of Eddie and Ellen Moore. She lived and worked on the farm in Annaghkilly until she emigrated to the US in the 50s with her sister Etta and moved in with Brian and Regina in the Bronx.

Originally, she studied to be a secretary at Katherine Gibbs, but did not enjoy the work. Her uncle got her a job at Dollar Savings Bank on Fordham Road. She met Brendan at a wedding and when they dated, they often attended dances at the Armory on Kingsbridge Road.


They married in October of 1964, had their first child, Deirdre, in September of 1965, and after their third child, Ellen, was born, they bought their home in Throggs Neck.

Me and Mom

When their fourth child, Eddie, started school, Mom went back to work at Dollar Savings Bank, this time a little closer to home in Parkchester. She worked there through the Dry Dock merger (and my brief time working at the 59th street branch- I was nowhere near the teller my mother was).

I was in Guatemala when the Emigrant merger happened. Mom was concerned her position would be eliminated, but she stayed on and received several promotions. Later, she considered retiring, but it was always put off till next spring, next fall, next year...

In the summer of 2002, my mom and my family along with my niece Shelly travelled to Ireland for my cousin Colleen's wedding.
Granny Rita and Mom
It was the first time I was in Ireland with my mother since she took Dee and me home after her dad died in December of 1968. My family stayed with Rita, one of Moms sisters, and we had a wonderful time. It was Mom's last trip home.

Today, on what would have been my Mom's 74th Birthday, Shelly is getting married to a good man. And I am sure that Mom, in Heaven, is smiling. I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment