Monday, January 31, 2011

Happy Birthday John

My son is 9 years old today. Last night, when we were walking home from a friend's house, I told him about the day he arrived.

I was at the hospital for a non-stress test. I had these routinely for a week before my daughter was born, so I sent my husband home. It was a four hour test and he needed the sleep, since he worked nights.

The test was delayed for a couple of hours because of an insurance issue, but eventually I got in and, as usual, the test was inconclusive. Then they did the sono my MD had ordered, and I found myself back at the reception desk for check-out.

Only not so fast.

They were calling the doctor.

And he wanted me admitted. Induced. I don't like induction AT ALL.

But off I go to the fifth floor, figuring I can call my husband in a couple of hours, since being induced TAKES FOREVER.

Only not so fast.

By the time I get upstairs, I have been re-designated a c-section. To tell the truth, this sounded better than being induced. I called and had George come back to the hospital.

My doctor arrived, blood was drawn we were ready to go at 2pm.

Only not so fast.

I was, surprising everyone but me, very anemic. And needed a transfusion prior to surgery. I had been transfused before, so it was no big deal.

The doctor would be back after a couple of packed units were given. Sounded good to me.

I got blood, got preped for surgery, and got a wonderful thing- spinal anesthesia. Wow. To have a pain free delivery was an amazing thing. I was disappointed I didn't have a mirror so I could see everything, and it was a really odd sensation, but then John- all 9lbs and 9 ozs- arrived and life was good.

I went to recovery with an itchy nose and blocked IV, but a little benedryl and a putted line later, I was good as new. George went off with John and my mother in law stayed with me. She was delighted and it was wonderful. John was the first grandchild for George's parents, and they were SO excited. John was 11th on my side- the last but not least baby boy of our family to date.

When Liz came after school on discharge day, she was delighted to help dress John and get him ready for the journey home. His shirt read, "I'm a little brother".

John is 9 years old now, and it seems like only the blink of an eye.

I love you, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment