Thursday, November 25, 2010

What I am thankful for...

Thanksgiving is one of those times where you can take a moment and consider all of Life's blessings. Things like:

Finishing all your Christmas shopping with over a month to go- even the work grab bag and the cousin who is IMPOSSIBLE to shop for (of course I got him in the family Christmas exchange.)

My cub scouts with whom I get to do cool stuff like go on Rumke dump tours and learn to carve stuff and toss ropes (if someone is drowning, I am not the person who should be throwing the life line)

Crazy social networking that lets me find the people I actually hung out with in grammar school and high school- virtual reunions full of big hair eighties photos and hilarious stories that are ever better in the retelling...

My house, the money pit castle I wouldn't trade... unless it was a really good trade...

I could go on...

But I wanted to take a moment to share the amazing list of true blessing in my life:

My children: I have two beautiful children, one practically a grown woman, the other a delightful little boy. My babies. I wonder at the time flashing past in a moment.

My siblings and their children: My sisters and brother are so much a part of me, and my nieces and nephews are like my own. They are far away only when judged by geography. They are always in my heart.

My Dad and Maureen: Dad has recovered well from the stroke last year and Maureen has been by his side. For this I am so thankful.

My extended family: I remember when I was younger, some people thought it strange that my cousins were who I went out with. The close knit family I grew up in is something I will always be grateful for. I am even more grateful now, as my family here in Ohio weave us into their lives.

My friends: Old and new, they are the time tested variety. They catch me when I am falling, hold my hand as the tears fall, and love me unconditionally, forever. We may not talk every day or week, but they are part of my soul.

The man that I love: He is strong and does because he can, not because he has to...He loves me anyway- even when I am high-strung, unhappy, broken, terrified, or sorrow-filled. Because let's face facts, it is easy when I am filled with joy and happiness. This man has staying power.

The work that I do: I work with some of the most amazing families. They face trials I cannot describe and pain I will never know, and daily work harder than any one person should have to... They inspire me with their bravery and I am in awe of their generosity and spirit. I am not saying the work is without difficulty, because on the darkest days of loss I grieve. But the community grieves with me, beside me- even thousands of miles away. EB has changed each of us.

This Thanksgiving, I am so thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment