Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A small stroke

Cardiac Catheterization is a procedure used to check on the health of your heart and to take corrective action, in the form of placing a stent to hold open areas of the heart’s vessels to ensure good blood flow to this vital muscle.

My father had this procedure several weeks ago, and had 2 stents placed. He was released and told he would have additional stents placed during a second catheterization scheduled for yesterday, December 7, 2009. He modified his diet and went back to Lenox Hill as requested.

At some point during the procedure, my father had a stroke- a small stroke, my sister told me. I wondered what made it a small stroke- the fact that it didn’t kill him? He has left sided weakness, can move his foot a little, cannot yet move his arm, and he is able to speak and be understood, although his speak is slurred. He was going to have blood work and they wanted to start tPA. The good news was he was alert and awake.

I spoke to a friend and she said it was not uncommon for the catheter to break off a plaque, resulting in a clot and stroke. The initial swelling would go down in approximately 48 hours and then we would have a better idea about what his functional level would be.

My cousin Margie told me her mom arrived first, got filled in by the doctors, and met Eddie downstairs before taking him to see dad. That dad broke down and cried when he saw Eddie. That she understood how hard this was right before Christmas.

In the evening, my brother gave me a less hopeful perspective. Dad is angry, he wishes he was dead rather than like this. In a bad place. And he sent Eddie home- so he was alone all night.

And now I sit awaiting news- of improvement that might not come- of an unchanged status. I have begun thinking past this moment at our long term options. He may need to be cared for- looked after. We, his children, will need to provide that care. Life changed yesterday. And waiting is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment