Wednesday, August 19, 2015

9-11 Memorial

My visit to lower Manhattan was work related, but I am still trying to do new things and I thought that, maybe, finally I could visit the memorial.

You can see the new tower in the skyline and the church is dwarfed by the surrounding structures.



The reflecting pools are beautiful, and perfect reminders of what once stood here. I was grateful to Jason that I was not alone, and thankful he stepped back as I grieved. This was so overwhelming even so long after the fact. It is hard to describe seeing the names of our neighborhood boys etched in steel.

Jay


 Fr. Judge


Muggs


Michael


And to tell the truth, I found it a little disturbing that the atmosphere was more like a carnival than a memorial park- I expected it to be more like the Vietnam Memorial in D.C., but that reverence was missing.  I was not prepared for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment