Monday, October 18, 2010

Working through the Holidays

I applied and was accepted as a temporary sales associate at Macy's in the Northgate Mall. I will make just over minimum wage ($8/hr) and will have shifts on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays for the next 11 weeks. Even better than the pay, I will have a 20% discount on purchases.

I will be working in Housewares, and floated to Linens as needed. I met a couple of the ladies that work in the areas I will be in and all seem kind. I have been out of retail for a very long time so hopefully all will go smoothly as I transition back into that environment.

Rick's only comment was that we will be unable to go away over Thanksgiving, as I will definitely be working. But I figure, John is away this Christmas, my regular job has cut me back to 4 days a week, and the discount will take the sting out of Christmas shopping. Liz has expensive taste and wants Chance Chanel perfume among other things...

It's funny, I think the last time I worked on a major holiday, it was Christmas day, 1991. I left the house at 6am before even the kids were awake, worked until 3:30pm, and took the 4pm Express Bus home- all the gift unwrapping was over except for me, and dinner was already underway.

And now I will get to experience "Black Friday", an event I have avoided, from the non-consumer side of things...at least it will be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment